Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 28, 2013

NEWS FLASH: Pigs Fly, There are people Ice Skating in Hell, Gay are Getting Married in Utah!



Well, this has been an interesting week with all of the gay marriage stuff going on in Utah. I have a few friends who got married. One couple that I worked with years ago, have been together for 15 years. It is great that they are now a legal family. They adopted a little girl back in 2002. I'm so happy for them. Another former co-worker of mine married her partner the day after they had their first baby. How's that for a busy week? Then just this morning on Facebook one of my friends from my BYU days announced that he was getting married today to his partner...one of the first guys I dated. (Not as awkward as it may seem.) They've been together for at least 12 years.

I'm sure that there are other people I know who have recently gotten married, but I just haven't heard about it yet. How exciting! It was amazing seeing the pictures of the long lines of couples waiting to get married. I just want to ask those people who think it's "all about sex" what the lines are for. I mean if these people just want to have sex, why are they waiting in line? If it isn't about love, why are they doing it? I think we all know you don't need to be gay married to have gay sex. (Can I get an amen?) Anyhow, I know that there are people who are so upset about the whole thing. I'm one who really truly tries to see the other person's side in a dispute. If I can understand where they're coming from, it makes it easier for me to deal with them. I just can't figure out how these people think that their marriages are somehow diminished, harmed, etc. just because gays are getting married. I can only think that they have decided that God is against it so they are too.

I've enjoyed reading other people's comments and postings about what has been going on. Some of the best that I've read are below:

It's been very interesting. I went home to my parents' house in Kaysville (Utah) for Christmas, and the gay marriage thing NEVER came up. I don't think it was on purpose, but I could be wrong. I think it's just reached a point in my family that it is a non-issue. When I say non-issue I mean they just aren't making a deal out of anything gay. It is what it is. Maybe I should have brought it up to see what people would have said. (I will admit to being a shit stirrer from time to time.)

I'm going to end this here. I have a few points I want to make, but my sleeping pills are kicking in and I am having to correct too many typing errors. :)


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the shout out to my post. My friends go married as well the first day and Im so happy for them!

James said...

No, thank you. I like what you had to say. I know it's tough for lots of folks who feel that an "activist judge" overturned the "will of the people," but that's a judge's job. Just because a large group of people want something doesn't make it right. Sigh...

Anyhow, great post!!